MIDDLETOWN GRANGE FAIR
AUGUST 14- 18, 2013
2013 Middletown Grange Fair
FILING DEADLINE: APPLLICATIONS AND ESSAYS MUST BE RECEIVED BY August 10, 2013.
Where and When: Interviews held at Entertainment Tent on Middletown Grange Fair Grounds on Tuesday, 8/13/2013, beginning at 6:00 p.m. at appointed times. (No audience as Fair is not open until the next day.) Winner will be crowned at 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday, August 14, 2013, at the County Commissioners’ meeting at the Entertainment Tent.
Each Fair Queen contestant must:
1. Be a female who is a U.S. citizen and a resident of Pennsylvania.
2. Be at least age 16, but no older than 20, years of age as of June 1 of the year entering the local contest.
3. Be certified as the winner by the local fair where she was crowned.
4. Have not been a former local Fair Queen winner, nor a former PA Fair Queen contestant.
5. Not hold any other State title for any other commodity group or pageant during her reign.
6. Have her parent(s)' or guardian(s)' consent to enter the competition.
7. Be single, have never been married, have not been pregnant nor given birth to a child
8. Act in accordance with the PA Fair Queen “Behavior Policy” (www.grangefair.org)
9. Meet all time commitments, Queen obligations and “Dress Code” (www.grangefair.org) as set forth by the PA Fair Queen Program.
At the Competition:
1. Contestants judged on poise, appearance, neatness, ability to communicate (speaking ability).
2. A written essay will be submitted on "What The Middletown Grange Fair Means to My Community" (300 words or less).
3. Must present a 3 to 5 minute speech on "Why You Should Come To My Fair" (It will be timed.)
4. Queen must represent our Fair at the State competition in Hershey, Pennsylvania on January 24, 25, 26, 2014
Obligations of Middletown Grange Fair Queen:
1. Queen must be available for a reasonable amount of time during the 2013 Grange Fair, August 14 through August 18, 2013, to familiarize herself with the Fair and participate in its activities
2. Queen must help to promote 2014 Fair Queen competition.
3. Queen must be available to help counsel the incoming 2014 Fair Queen.
Winner Receives: $500.00 scholarship award ($250.00 per year for two consecutive years of post high school education). To be used by September 2018.
NOTE: If Queen cannot meet the three obligations enumerated above, she will forfeit the $500.00 scholarship and runner-up will be recipient of the title and $500.00 scholarship providing she is able to meet these obligations.
The Fair Queen’s reign will end August 13, 2014.
For application or further information, contact:
Robert W. Habel
FAIR QUEEN BEHAVIOR POLICY:
The Contest’s governing Board shall have the sole discretion to determine whether, in its judgment, theQueen, Alternate or Contestants may continue to participate in the Program, in the event that the Boarddetermines that any statement or representation is not true and accurate, or that any action isinconsistent with the rules, standards and dignity of the Program.
The following will be considered violations of the Policy and will be grounds for immediatedisqualification, dismissal and/or being banned from future Queen competitions:
1. Any infractions of any Queen Contest rules.
2. Smoking, drinking alcoholic beverages, chewing gum, foul language and/or public displays ofaffection to dates/boyfriends while wearing crown and/or sash and representing the Queen Program.
3. Engagement in any illegal, unpartisan, unethical, indecent and/or morally questionable behavior, including but not limited to online representations on the Internet such as social networking sites (Facebook and MySpace).
4. Use of any illegal controlled dangerous substances or abusing the use of alcohol or otherdangerous substances.
5. Any defamation of the Queen Contest, its winners and contestants, and the Fair or the PA FairQueen Program and their Directors and Committee members, whether it be oral or written. This includes postings on the Internet.
6. Any uncooperative or unsportsmanlike conduct before, during or after the competition.
7. Appearing in crown and banner at any event without an official invitation from an authorized event coordinator or event board member.
FAIR QUEEN DRESS CODE:
Wearing of the Fair Queen crown and/or sash is to be considered an honor and privilege. The bearerrepresents herself, her family, her community and Fair. Therefore professional appearance is expected while in crown and sash:
1. Attire that is conducive to the specific appearance or event (i.e. business casual, formal, etc.)
2. No jeans, sneakers, flip flops or boots.
3. No visible piercings (other than earrings) or tattoos.
4. No outfit that shows cleavage.
5. Dresses/skirts must be no shorter than the height of a dollar bill placed between the top of the knee cap to the bottom of the dress/skirt hem.
6. No clothing that advertises, promotes, or glorifies the use of alcohol, tobacco, drugs, or anything inconsistent with the dignity of the Queen Program.